Call us on 01792 466 428
Book a FREE Consulation

Marriage Tax Allowance


Could you be missing out on up to a £212 per year tax break


If you married or in a civil partnership, you may be entitled to a £212 tax break called the Marriage Tax Allowance. To be eligible you and your spouse need to meet the following criteria:

  • You must be married or in a civil partnership.
  • Both of you must have been born after the 6th April 1935
  • You or your spouse needs to have total income below £10,600 for the 2015/2016 tax year  (£11,000 for the 2016/2017 tax year).
  • One of you needs to earn over £10,600 but below £42,385 for the 2015/2016 tax year (£11,000 and £43,000 for the 2016/2017 tax year).


The process to claim the allowance is very straightforward, the individual ‘giving up’ part of their allowance needs to visit and complete the online form. The allowance remains in place for subsequent tax years until you notify HMRC there is a change in your circumstances.


The allowance is relevant for the self-employed as well the employed.


There may be circumstances where it is worth claiming for only one or two tax years e.g. maternity leave, unemployment, long term sick leave. If you meet the above criteria for those tax years it would be worth transferring the allowance then informing HMRC when your circumstances change.


If you need more information contact Richard Reeves on [email protected] , or alternatively contact our offices on 01792 466428